Skip to main content

Book Promotion Activities When You're Unpublished (Or, I Spent My Miserable Day Looking At Book Trailers)

I spent this morning trudging through a rewrite of one of my chapters. I soon decided to waste my day on the internet, also watching Se7en, with B-Pitt and The Man Who is In Everything. Somehow, I got onto YouTube and to searching book trailers.

Quick, quick, before I begin: Changes have been made to the site that are not quite visible from the homepage. So, Who is She? the page, is now expanded on and includes a picture of my face (don't all rush at once, I know you want to order a hit on me). There is also a new page! My Work. That is the first place where I have included information on my novel REVENIR (RETURN as I call it in posts) anywhere on the internet-slash-blogosphere. Check it out to read up and possibly understand all that I've been yapping on about for the four-odd months that I've been writing this blog. Anyway...

Personally, I am pro book trailers. They are fun and easy to access and they help psych up fans for upcoming debuts or new additions to beloved series(es?). My next point comes from an hour or two mindlessly watching videos and wasting my internet GB-age, throwing my money into the bottomless chasm of Youtube-hell. Anyways. Why do so many of these book trailers have to be so...tedious? A lot of them are the same thing with different font and (sometimes) different images. The ones that are acted out, why do they have to be so bad? I'm sorry, but there's no other way to say it. I mean, a student made one for Carrie Ryan's THE FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH and my God it was good. A student, a collective that is notorious for their shortage of money. Now what's stopping the big publishing companies from dishing out amazing book trailers?

But as I kept watching, I began to find bits and pieces that I liked. I apologise in advance: this is going to be video heavy. But don't assume the post's over (something I would probably do), it continues below the list. Also, you might want to full screen them? Anyway, here is a shortlist of my favourite book trailers I discovered today.

1. THE FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH


2. LINGER


3. THE GRAVEYARD BOOK


4. MOCKINGJAY


I'm sure that by watching those you see the sorts of things that really stood out to me. The stop-motion individuality of Maggie Stiefvater's, or the very Neil Gaiman clip for THE GRAVEYARD BOOK and we all know that my review of MOCKINGJAY wasn't the glowing review of the year, but the simplicity of that trailer was great for an upcoming instalment in a series. Carrie Ryan's THE FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH is the only one on that list that I haven't already read and the trailer, as well as the premise, really makes me want to read it. It's a pity that my local booksellers don't sell it.

Now, how about authors making book trailers for themselves when they're unpublished? You know how some of us draw our characters, or do up the blue prints for the main venue in their novel, or write up profiles? We do these things predominately when we're procrastinating (Oh, admit it, you do). So, how about making book trailers? You get to mess around with casting your novel, setting the theme, ironing out the imagery in your setting - you also have to narrow down the summary of your novel. (Good for those games where you have to come up with a summary in 20-words for a hypothetical situation where you're stuck in a hypothetical lift with a hypothetical dream agent and get to make your pitch) You set the atmosphere for your novel, you get to have a break from your world of words and documents with walls of text and mess around with videos and music and special effects.

What do you think? You don't necessarily have to do the trailer yourself, but if you had a hypothetical film editor who had the entire film world of clips at hand and a music library of everything - how would you do it? A slideshow of images or movie clips? General cast? How about your music, its tone? Voice over? What about the text you include? How would you make your novel come across to your audience?

If you have no idea, then what about your cover? I think nearly everyone has their own DIY cover. How do you use symbolism or how do you portray your novel to whoever picks up your novel?

So that this post isn't completely pointless, I decided that I was going to post my day's progress. I did the following in about three hours on iMovie. This is me embracing more of a cinematic trailer, and you're welcomed to laugh and point at me. Though for some reason, there are some cringe-worthy editing mistakes here and there as YouTube decided to upload a earlier draft of it, but whatever. So, yeah, check it out (It's probably going to have better quality here):


Comments

  1. I love the idea of book trailers. Being a huge fan of movie trailers, they're right up my alley. I plan to make my own eventually once I'm in the right place. I love a mix of live-action and the photos. I agree that just titles and music doesn't work as well as a plethora of images that really tell you what the book's about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only recently learned about book trailers - didn't know they even existed before ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting videos, specially i like THE GRAVEYARD BOOK trailer.


    Promotion Letters

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your take on trailers. And thank you for collecting these in one place! Saves me a lot of time.

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

D'You Ever Get Those Umpteenth Draft Blues - They're Like the Mean Reds (Or, I Need to Buy HG Wells' Time Machine off Sheldon Cooper)

Say hip hip hooray for absurdly long titles. (And if you didn't catch those references, look here (at 2:50) and here ) I apologise profusely here, boyos. School has been an even greater burden that I'd ever imagined. If I want this mark I've been blabbering about, I am going to need to clone myself. Seriously. It's been a long week since I last spoke to you all and I'm afraid it may be another until I can break above the water. I'm drowning in homework, and core texts that I absolutely despise. In fact, I'm starting to look a little like this: And this glorious situation sparked me with inspiration as gracefully as lightning destroys a palm tree. Inspiration for, well, my blog. *Casts longing glance to manuscript in the corner* As I tried to straighten out my weekend to catch up on all the work I missed when I was sick this week, I realised that Saturday - my devout RETURN revisions day - was being consumed by extra reading/film viewing/art sketching for s

Show Me Yours, a Blogfest

Ooh, look! It's a post. Finally. I am aware that it's been a while, but I've been swept up in the NYE-slash-work-slash-revisions world that has now become my life. Anyways. A while ago, I signed up to a blogfest over at Falen Formulates Fiction , by the charming name of Show Me Yours . I know that to many northern hemisphere natives that it's only the 2nd of January, however, down here in Australia, it's the 3rd. Therefore, I am early. I couldn't find an excerpt from my NaNo, mostly because I haven't touched it since the 1st of December. This blogfest deadline really snuck up on me, and I don't really have time to comb through and then edit a scene, so I'll be lazy and give you an excerpt from my novel, RETURN, which is seizing my sanity and my sleep. It's meant to be 500 words, but I'm feeling rebellious and shall give you 650 or whatever it is. The Grog and Gruel was empty, or almost empty. Nightfall smothered the narrow pub, blackening th

Honey You Should See Me In a Crown I (Or, What BBC Sherlock Teaches Us: Antagonists and Villains and Bad Baddies)

BBC's  Sherlock -  the reincarnation of Arthur Conan Doyle's detective in 21st century London. In its second series, it only has six episodes, but confounds me in its ability to be perfect. I'm a snob about film and TV, but I'll also be first to say it's the finest piece of storytelling on TV in a while. We writers can learn from it, so welcome to my all-rounder series: Honey, You Should See Me in a Crown . I will be dissect this king of entertainment, created by Steven Moffat (of Doctor Who fame, a fan favourite since Blink, The Girl in the Fireplace and  Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead ) and Mark   Godtiss Gatiss (who also plays Mycroft Holmes in the series). From plot, to pacing, to characterisation, to relationships and dynamics, from themes to subtext, to stereotypes and archetypes, and all literary bad-arsery. (And thankfully this will tie in with my HSC crime studies, so HA! Board of Studies, ha!) Note: spoilers threaded throughout. No, serious