Skip to main content

Gone But Not Forgotten, a Blogfest (Or, "Zoe, I'm Paying You Too Much")


There's a common saying in my house: "Of course it's a great show, they cancelled it". Yes, I am referring to television shows that have ended or been taken off the air and really shouldn't have because us devoted fans loved them so tenderly. And what calls for this post? As alerted to me by the darling Trisha, some astounding women are hosting the Gone But Not Forgotten Blogfest, where the participants are to list our top five favourite TV shows which are no longer running but which reside in a special place in our hearts, specifically, the Taken-Off-The-Air-And-So-I-Tried-To-Assassinate-The-Producers-But-Failed-Dismally place. So, let's kick it off with an obvious one (and these are in no particular order).

1 FIREFLY: "The hero of Canton, the man they call Jayne" is still my alternative to singing the school song at assemblies. I cannot believe that they cancelled this show. Pardon my French, but what the fuck? Don't producers know they have a good thing when they actually have it? Christ almighty. And to just farewell it with that stupid film? Well, at least I can honestly say that if I ever see Nathan Fillion in the street, I'll dip my head and say "Cap'n".

2 DARK ANGEL: Yes, my pretties, that is indeed Miss Jessica and Sir Dean Winchester in a boxing ring. (Hint: She kicks him in the cobblers.) I regret never watching this show right through again, I loved it dearly. James Cameron (Yes, as in Titanic) created this show starring Alba as Max, an escaped genetic experiment, Michael Weatherly as a paraplegic genius, not to mention Sir Ackles as her brotherly Manticore-cellmate Alec. It was amazing, and could've gone for at least another two seasons, and I still think James Patterson ripped it off almost entirely to create his MAXIMUM RIDE series about birdkids who escaped from their military facility captors, or whatever.

3 STARGATE ATLANTIS: It is so incredibly nerdy of me, my friends have told me this already. And I am aware that they were able to actually bring this to some kind of close when they cancelled it, but still. I actually hated SG1 and Universe, but this I loved. I can't actually convey how much I clung to each episode, McKay's inadvertent funniness, Sheppard's lone-slinger act, Ronan's Ronan-ness, the odd humour in the middle of another galaxy. So, these guys find Atlantis, as a city in the Pegasus Galaxy and they go there through the Stargate (You know the stargate, that movie with James Spader in it?) and madness ensues.

4 TERMINATOR - THE SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES: I explicitly remember watching the last episode of this show's second season, knowing that this was the end. When the credits appeared, the was most definitely a loud "What the fuck?" on my end. Most definitely. This show was the shit, man. Summer Glau, Thomas Dekker and Terminators - not to mention time travel? This show being cancelled just proves that producers will just turf something that will develop a fanbase and constant love and attention in light of a movie with Christian Bale and Sam Worthington that will get press for a few months before dying in the arse because low and behold: Avatar.

5 GILMORE GIRLS: Oh, the wit! The fantastic wit! My, my. I tried very hard to be best friends with my Mum after watching this show. I also blame it for a lot of other things: my talking speed, my constant film referencing (which, I discovered, is not understood as often as it is in this show), my expectations of gentlemen suitors. Oh my. I don't think there will ever be another Gilmore Girls, not in my heart. Why did they cancel this show? WHY? And what have the actors done lately? Starred in a couple CSI episodes or done a straight-to-DVD film? I mean, come on. Rory and Lorelai were Gods in my mind - the epitome of caffeinated fun, the reward of studying for a solid three hours. It made me want to go to Yale, to fall for my own Jess, my own Logan. And I miss it so much. If anyone had any sense, they would have never cancelled this show. Alternatively, they better make a kick-ass movie farewell or so help me God...

HIGHLY COMMENDED: Life, Numb3rs, Veronica Mars

So, what shows do you miss like hell?

Comments

  1. OH MY GOD. I can't believe I forgot Dark Angel and Gilmore Girls!! They are 2 of my faves. ESPECIALLY Dark Angel which only had the 2 seasons. *sniffles* I need a do-over. LMAO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A surprising amount of people are picking Dark Angel as one of their five shows. I watched the first season religiously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Gilmore Girls was a great show. Your list is awesome! I'm a fellow Crusader -- who clearly hasn't made all the rounds yet. Sorry for my tardy visit! Looking forward to reading more from you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Of course it's a great show, they cancelled it"

    LOL, That's exactly how I feel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Gilmore Girls how much I missed that show. So good for so long.


    Great List. Thanks for joining in on the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a passionate fan of the Terminator movies, I've been meaning to download the episodes to that show. You're the first person to tell me the show was good, and by what I can tell from the other shows you listed, you have good taste! I'll have to start watching it ASAP (despite the apparently sucky ending).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whedon Rules!

    I've seen a lot of Gilmore Girls too today. I never watched that and now I may have to check it out.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great list! I always liked the dialogue in Gilmore Girls, very snappy :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Doesn't Jensen look so young in Dark Angel now? Lol! Great picks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have got to check out Firefly. It has shown up again and again. I love the GG and you totally capture what made it stand out: all those references, all that fast talking. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never saw Dark Angel or Alias (another that's popped up around the blogfest), but GIlmore Girls was cute. VM was awesome!

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Please post more pictures of Jensen Ackles with his shirt off. That was all I saw in this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hehe, I don't watch too much TV at all (I hide away writing. . .) so I haven't seen any of these shows, but I'll have to! :)

    By the way, I've got two awards for you on my blog!
    http://capriciousexistence.blogspot.com/2011/03/im-stylish-and-lovely-in-case-you-didnt.html
    Take one, take both - whatever, they're all yours. :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stephen oh Stephen
    This ,your therapist will get a chuckle out of all I copied ,ha ha

    You Keep on pushing that mind of yours
    one day sweetie ,you will be rich and famous ,you will be remembered !!

    just think sweetie ,you be able to afford ,your new love ,without mommy ,supporting you both ,
    Or just maybe ,your mommy could high your new love as her new maid ,and she will fit right in with all that are care takers of her yard

    you little devil you ,this fame in creation is so rewarding and touching ,How you spend wasting Time to create such Rewarding Fame for me ,Wow!! you are amazing man ,now writing a novel ,how do you find the time

    have a nice life aaron,anwii,awniii40,Rob,calkid,oh silly me ,I forget ,you have many user names and male or female ,just so convincing ,you make all look like pretty little Idiots

    isn't life perfect ,I think so

    today is great ,you look so stupid aaron ,as you just don't hold the facts about nothing smiling

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the Gilmore Girls, though I only watched maybe 5 or 6 episodes all together. Usually if I find a show I like, I eat up ever episode as fast as I can!Maybe it's time to netflix it!!!!!!1

    BTW, Crusade group member saying HELLO!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved Gilmore Girls! I can't believe I didn't list it! But five is such a small number, really:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

D'You Ever Get Those Umpteenth Draft Blues - They're Like the Mean Reds (Or, I Need to Buy HG Wells' Time Machine off Sheldon Cooper)

Say hip hip hooray for absurdly long titles. (And if you didn't catch those references, look here (at 2:50) and here ) I apologise profusely here, boyos. School has been an even greater burden that I'd ever imagined. If I want this mark I've been blabbering about, I am going to need to clone myself. Seriously. It's been a long week since I last spoke to you all and I'm afraid it may be another until I can break above the water. I'm drowning in homework, and core texts that I absolutely despise. In fact, I'm starting to look a little like this: And this glorious situation sparked me with inspiration as gracefully as lightning destroys a palm tree. Inspiration for, well, my blog. *Casts longing glance to manuscript in the corner* As I tried to straighten out my weekend to catch up on all the work I missed when I was sick this week, I realised that Saturday - my devout RETURN revisions day - was being consumed by extra reading/film viewing/art sketching for s

"In 900 Years of Time and Space, I've Never Met Anyone Who Wasn't Important Before" (Problem: Boring Lead, Riveting Supporting Cast)

I received an email the other day from a reader (who wanted to remain anonymous in this post - but we'll call her Sarah) who told me that she was having trouble getting into her protagonist, despite this being her most prominent POV. She is dynamic as many Young Adult characters are, but at the beginning she's anxious and self-doubting because she's in that adolescent phase when you realise everything you know about yourself is completely wrong and you're just starting to discover who you REALLY are. There's not much that makes her like me (or am I kidding myself?) even though I've been in the same position as her. Well maybe not exactly since this is YA SF, but as far as her emotional state goes, I've been through that. But I just feel like she should've developed more by now, and she still feels like a faceless stock character. Bildungsroman is the nature of YA above all, and that relatable trait for the protagonist is necessary. To some extent,

Have we seen the end of action-oriented YA?

Well, have we? A lot of writers struggle with balancing action and suspense with realistic development and emotion. I've received a couple emails about concerns that in writing physical struggles at the forefront, internal conflict plays second fiddle.  In many ways, characters vs. plot  or even the conflict in pleasing your readers vs. pleasing yourself. We get caught up in all the little opinions - agents condemn certain features and talk about the importance of "emotion" and issues relevant to the YA audience, and critics on sites like Goodreads can be absolutely brutal about their preferences.  We as authors have a tendency to reconsider our choices and our work in their desire to be relevant and pleasing and, well, good. But it's all about balance. And I do mean action-oriented   and not action-packed .  All plots have a sense of urgency to them, and that pacing is absolutely vital. It's important not to forgo that in the mistaken